Applications are invited from suitably qualified Gambians to fill the vacant position of Director of Finance and Administration at GAMWORKS.
|Title of post||Director of Finance and Administration (DFA)|
|Reports to:||Director General (DG) Under the direction of the DG of GAMWORKS, the Director of Finance and Administration shall provide leadership and be in charge of the Finance and Administrative Department of GAMWORKS|
|Subordinates||All staff of the Finance & Administration Dept.|
o Assume responsibility for the supervision and control of the Finance and Administration Department of GAMWORKS, relating to the administrative, legal and financial matters of the Agency.
o Ensure that the financial procedures in use are in conformity with the rules and regulations laid down in the Finance & Administration Manual;
o Prepare the Draft Budgets and Disbursement Plans of GAMWORKS and supervise the preparation of requests and reallocation of funds addressed to the Development Partners;
o Control and monitor deposits into and withdrawals from bank accounts or cashbox;
o Verify and oversee the preparation of Statement of Expenditure (SOEs) and Withdrawal Applications to be submitted to the Donor Agencies for project payments;
o Co-sign cheques, cash transfers and commitments of funds;
o Ensure and control the preparation of financial statements;
o Verify supporting documents to establish their validity and veracity and ensure that they are charged to the correct account;
o Periodically check cash books and account ledgers to ascertain that they are up to date;
o Control the preparation of Bank Reconciliation Statements;
o Verify, on a regular basis, that all supporting documents of transactions done by GAMWORKS as well as all financial or accounting documents are classified or filed using accepted systems:
o Monitor payments, particularly on balances due and invoices and maintain an accounting relationship with suppliers and administration;
o Prepare quarterly and annual Financial Reports for GAMWORKS, the Projects and Delegated Management Contracts;
o Monitor the functioning of the IMS (Integrated Management System) introduced to manage the activities of GAMWORKS;
Procurement of supplies and services
o Ensure that procedures governing the procurement of goods and services are followed;
o Monitor expenses closely and ensure that they are strictly within the budget;
o Ensure that contractual clauses are adhered to when services or supplies are ordered before any disbursement of funds;
o Be responsible for the general organisation of the Finance and Admin Dept;
o Ensure the effective operation of the administrative structures;
o Ensure that the administrative, financial and accounting procedures of GAMWORKS are applied and regularly updated;
o Ensure that agreements signed with Development Partners, Government and Clients are respected;
o Prepare a description of duties attached to administrative posts;
o Supervise the recruitment and training of staff;
o Shall be responsible for the performance evaluation of staff members under the Department;
o Ensure compliance with employment laws of The Gambia;
o Ensure that general information is effectively disseminated within GAMWORKS;
o Be responsible for the smooth administration of the IT network;
Management of Physical Assets
o Ensure that physical assets that are purchased are adequately protected against all risks (theft, misappropriation, destruction, etc);
o Ensure that inventory counts are carried out using appropriate methods;
o Take all necessary steps to monitor the location and movement of all physical assets;
o Ensure that staff utilise property responsibly.
The DFA is responsible for the preparation of the financial statements listed below:
o Financial statements prepared by GAMWORKS in its capacity as a legal entity;
o Financial statements prepared by GAMWORKS as the agent responsible for the implementation of project activities delegated to them;
o Coordinate with the external auditors for the timely preparation of Audit Reports for GAMWORKS and the Projects.
The DFA shall make the above-mentioned financial statements available to the monitoring bodies: The Auditors, the Government and relevant Governmental Departments and Public Agencies.
Carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the Director-General.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
Must have ACCA, CIMA or any other equivalent professional accounting qualification and must attain fellowship status.
- An MBA Degree is an advantage;
- Must have 10 years of relevant post-qualification professional experience, with at least 5 years in a Senior Management position;
- Must have relevant experience in procurement, and financial management on donor-funded projects;
- Must be conversant with the relevant International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- Experience in operating a recognized accounting software programme;
- A self-motivated individual with Private sector experience;
- Senior leadership and mentoring skills;
- Teamwork and problem-solving skills;
- Proven experience in directing, coordinating and managing Departmental/Unit work activities and staff performance to achieve set targets and plans.
- Good interpersonal communication and negotiation skills to build effective and constructive relationships with key stakeholders, Clients and Partners;
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive matters with tact and poise;
- High sense of integrity and moral personal conduct;
- Good report writing and computer skills in Microsoft Office, especially in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Ability to communicate with confidence and clarity;
- Ability to handle pressure, meet tight deadlines and deal with staff with high professional standards;
The successful candidate will sign an initial one-year employment contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance.
Expected start date is beginning of April 2021.
A very attractive salary and benefits package is attached to the post.
Application letter, together with CV, copies of certificates and 2 referees certifying professional work experience should be addressed to the Director General, GAMWORKS, Kanifing Institutional Layout, Bertil Harding Highway.
Envelopes should be clearly marked, “Application for the Vacant Position of Director of Finance and Administration”. Closing date for receiving applications is Thursday 11th February 2021, at 4pm.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.